Sunday, February 27, 2011

















Here are some pictures from her overnight EEG last week. I can't find my videos that I took (I will post those as soon as I find my flip camera).

We had a good visit with Lauren's Neurologists on Thursday. Her EEG showed no clinical or electrographic seizures (which means no seizures you can see or seizures the EEG can "see"). Her EEG still shows slowing and epileptiform bursts (which means she her brain is still highly susceptible to seizures). Overall this is such an improvement and so amazing that she had no seizures detected. As you know deep down I was hoping for a normal EEG or at least no slowing but still so happy for how far she has come. As I understand it slowing in the EEG is not good and contributes to the developmental delays.

I tried to get a feel from her doctors of what I could expect with her going this long with no seizures and her EEG. All I got was...that they would not be surprised if she started to seize again (it could be tonight, 1 year, 5 years, 20 etc). That I needed to be prepared for that at any moment. I told them I was prepared for that! That is on my mind 24 hours a day, just waiting for it to all fall apart. SO being prepared for that I again asked for some sort of prognosis or what can I expect? ...He told me he doesn't know, that Lauren is in unwritten areas and that she is writing her own book. I HATE THIS!!! I know life is full of uncertainty and I understand that(I think) but a little insight or hope would be so nice to hear! I know they only want to tell me the worse case scenarios or what is most likely going to happen so they don't get my hopes up or expect to much from this good time. We have always felt/hoped that Lauren would overcome this and it has been a constant fight to keep the doctors believing in her, so I don't know why I am bothered by all this? I am going to try to Email Dr Kossoff at Johns Hopkins (Lauren's Dr while on the Ketogenic diet, he is world renowned in this field) and see if he would be willing to review her EEG and latest history and give me his insight. He has seen a lot of Lauren's previous EEGs and I think he would be a lot more open and upfront with me. He just sees a lot more of the difficult/catastrophic cases of seizures syndromes then Primary Childrens. Who knows if he will do it and it is probably silly for me to try but I need more information (even though I know there is probably nothing more, I just can't rest until I have tried every option out there).

I know that some of you that read this have had similar experiences or if you can add anything about reading the EEG please let me know. Fawn (or others), I think your daughter is seizure free now? Did she have slowing and if she did what does her EEG show now that she is seizure free? Any insight would be helpful ( even the bad info). Below is what her EEG report said (for those that understand)...

Impression:
This was an abnormal long-term monitored EEG recording because of slower then expected background frequencies and the presence of relatively infrequent predominantly generalized epileptiform bursts of brief duration, particularly during sleep. This record does suggest an underlying seizure tendency.

Background activity:
With patient awake, variable 5-6 Hz theta was seen posteriorly. Occasional slowing was also intermixed. Smaller amplitude mixed frequencies were seen in the frontal and temporal areas.

Sleep record:
The patient did become drowsy and fell asleep. There was an increase in the amount and amplitude of background slowing. Sleep spindles and V waves were noted.

Interictal Abnormalities:
There were several bursts of large amplitude irregular slowing with intermixed sharp or occasionally spikes. These were less then a second in duration and were not sequential. On a couple of occasions, a left frontal spike was noted.

Clinical events/electrographic correlates:
There were no clinical or electrographic seizures captured

1 comment:

Fawn said...

Jade hasn't had an EEG since January last year. The plan is for her to have a 24-hour EEG in June.(Thankfully, it will be an ambulatory EEG, so no being chained to a bed for a day!) At her last EEG, she was about 99% seizure-free, but she still sometimes had tonic seizures when asleep. There were no seizures during the EEG, either observable or sub-clinical, but she did also have slowing in the backgrounds, as well as other abnormal activity.

I, too, am really looking forward to the next EEG. Jade's been seizure-free (as far as we can tell!) since May. She's made such huge developmental gains, and I can't help but think that must mean her brain is a lot more well, even if it isn't 100% "healed". Who knows, since they say MAE is genetic, maybe Michael or I also have "abnormal" EEGs and maybe she'll ALWAYS have an abnormal EEG.

What I've always understood is that the longer a child goes without seizing, the better the chances are that s/he'll never have a seizure again. Of COURSE it's not a guarantee, but I take so much comfort in that.

Also... why NOT get your hopes up? Why not try letting your guard down? I know people (including me!) feel superstitious, or think it is hubris to think maybe the worst could finally be over... but, oh, what the heck, read this -- she says it so much better than I can! :)

I HOPE I never see another seizure again in my life. I may be disappointed, but I still hope that. And I hope the same for you! I am soooo happy for this reprieve.

Fawn