Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Lauren is home from the hospital! Yea! It feels so good and she is doing pretty good. She is so fat it doesn't even look like her and she has acne all over her face-it is so sad. As we wean the steroids over this next month those symptoms should improve. When she was discharged the doctors explained more of what happened to her from the ACTH. They told me they had to fluid resuscitate her in ICU. The main thing that was of concern was her PH (along with her potassium-but not so much). That once her PH was not so high they moved her out of ICU. Then trying to maintain it all was the hard thing as she continued to have the access urine. It is really so much and new I can't really comprehend all of it.
As far as her seizures. We started her on Keppra (this is the 2nd time we tried this drug. It was the very 1st drug she was on when the seizures started almost 3 years ago). We are hoping to get another honeymoon period to get us through this wean and bad patch. I have no hope that any medicine will work. We have an appointment on Nov 1st with Neurosurgery to look into implanting the Vegas Nerve Stimulator(VNS). I will post more info about it when I get a chance. It is something that has been mentioned before but quickly passed over. It possibly helps shorten or improve but most likely not stop the seizures and if it helps/works can take up to a year to get it to the right level.
Thank you for all the kindness and prayers!

1 comment:

Fawn said...

So glad to hear that Lauren is home. I'm hoping that the Keppra works out the way you want it to.

BTW, Tami, I got a couple of e-mails that I wanted to forward to you -- do you have an e-mail I can reach you at? You can send me a note at my gmail.com account. The first part is fawnahareo.